Lemons are a unique fruit that can be used in sweet and savory style cooking. They add a tart zip to desserts and a bold rich flavor to marinades and dressings. The juice, pulp, and rind of a lemon can be utilized in many different ways. Here are three unique ways to use lemons for cooking.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to one cup of milk to make buttermilk. Let this mix sit for 5 minutes then you have buttermilk for pancakes, cake or any recipe requiring buttermilk.
- Lemon and chicken pair beautifully together. Use lemon slices, zest or juice to make a marinade for chicken. Lemons help tenderize and add a deeper flavor to poultry.
- Make your own lemon-infused oil. Add slices of one lemon to a cup of Clearly Organic olive oil. Place in a sealed container and let sit for a month. This will produce a delicious bold lemon olive oil for baking for marinades.
Here are three household uses of lemon.
- Add lemon juice to your whites when doing laundry. Add one cup of lemon juice to the wash cycle when washing white socks, shoes or t-shirts. Lemon juice helps produce a bright white cotton without the harsh chemicals of bleach.
- Make a natural air freshener with lemon. Cut up a whole lemon and add it to a saucepan of water. Simmer the lemon water for an hour for a fresh warm scent.
- Make your own household cleaner with white vinegar, water and lemon rind. Add equal parts white vinegar and water to a spray bottle. Then add the rind of one lemon and let sit for a week. Use your natural cleaner for bathroom surfaces and approved kitchen surfaces.
Have a question? Leave us a message on Facebook.